In a food processor, blend together the following until smooth:
* 3/4 c. powdered sugar, plus a little extra for garnish
* 3 large eggs
* 2 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1 Tbs. orange zest
* 1 - 15 oz. container whole milk ricotta cheese
* 1/2 c. cooked short-grained rice (good use for left over rice)
* 1/3 c. lightly toasted chopped nuts (can use any of the following - walnuts, slivered almonds, cashews, pecans or pine nuts)
Set aside and prepare crust:
* 6 phyllo sheets (if frozen they need to be thawed)
* 3/4 stick (3oz) unsalted butter, melted
Lightly butter a 9-inch glass pie dish. Lay 1 phyllo sheet over the bottom and up the sides of the dish, allowing the phyllo to hang over the sides. Brush the phyllo with melted butter. Top with a second sheet of phyllo dough, laying it in the opposite direction as the first phyllo sheet. Continue layering the remaining sheets of phyllo, alternating after each layer and buttering each sheet. Spoon the ricotta mixture into the dish. Fold the overhanging phyllo dough over the top of the filling to enclose it completely. Brush completely with melted butter.
Bake the pie in a preheated 375 oven until the phyllo is golden brown and the filling is set, about 35 minutes. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool completely. Sift remaining powdered sugar over the pie and serve.
Courtesy of Linda L. Voyles, Broker/Associate with Suzanne Cook & Co